Jonathan Braun, whose sentence was commuted by Trump, charged with assaulting man, child during Sabbath dinner at Lawrence home

Jonathan Braun leave court Tuesday. Credit: Newsday/Howard Schnapp
A Long Island man whose drug dealing and money laundering sentence was commuted by President Donald Trump has been charged with assaulting a man and his child during a Sabbath dinner in Lawrence.
Jonathan Braun, 41, who served 1 year of a 10-year sentence, has been charged with six separate crimes since being released from Otisville federal prison in 2021.
A former pot dealer and enforcer for a small business loan company, according to authorities, Braun could be reincarcerated for violating the terms of his supervised release.
In his latest run-in with the law, prosecutors allege that he became upset at a man and his two sons during a Saturday Sabbath dinner at Braun’s Lawrence home on March 29..
He punched the dinner guest in the face, according to the complaint, and then shoved him to the ground, causing him to cut his elbow. Prosecutors said that he then turned to the toddler and pushed the child to the ground as well, "causing a red mark on his back and substantial pain to his back.”
Police arrested Braun and charged him with second and third-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child.
Nassau County Judge Lisa M. Petrocelli set his bail at $25,000 and ordered him to stay away from the man and his son.
At a court appearance Tuesday morning in Nassau District Court in Hempstead, Braun refused to answer any questions from reporters about his pending criminal cases. His attorney, Robert Caliendo, declined to comment.
Braun, who ran an international marijuana smuggling ring, importing the drug through Canada to stash houses in Staten Island and Brooklyn, according to federal prosecutors, faces more than a half dozen misdemeanor charges against him from the six arrests.
Last May and July he allegedly evaded $160 worth of tolls after driving his Lamborghini and Ferrari sports cars over the Atlantic Beach Bridge without license plates.
In August, prosecutors charge he beat up his wife and her father during a domestic argument. Those charges were dropped, because, according to sources, the alleged victims were too afraid to testify against him.
During a hospital stay in January, prosecutors said that he got in an argument with an emergency room nurse and began swinging an IV pole at her.
In February, he allegedly came into his nanny’s room around 6:30 a.m., sat on her bed next to her and grabbed her breast while touching himself, according to court records.
Last week, Braun appeared in court again to plead not guilty for grabbing a man’s arm in a Lawrence synagogue after the man shushed him during prayer services.
"Do you know who I am or what I can do to you?” the man said Braun told him. He then threatened, "I’m going to [expletive] you up,” according to the complaint.
The judge presiding over Braun’s federal case, U.S. District Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto, agreed to modify the conditions of his release after his August arrest so that his "financial condition, payments and mental health treatment shall be closely monitored.”
She could rule that he violated the terms of his release and force him to serve the remainder of his sentence.
This is a modal window.
FeedMe: All-you-can-eat sushi ... Top 100 lacrosse players ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV
This is a modal window.
FeedMe: All-you-can-eat sushi ... Top 100 lacrosse players ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV
Most Popular




