Nets star Kyrie Irving takes responsibility for harm caused by link to antisemitic movie

Kyrie Irving #11 of the Brooklyn Nets looks on from the bench during the second quarter of the game against the Chicago Bulls at Barclays Center on November 01, 2022 in New York City. Credit: Getty Images/Dustin Satloff
It took six days, but Kyrie Irving has accepted responsibility for the negative impact his post promoting an antisemitic movie had on the Jewish community.
Irving’s latest comments were issued in a joint statement through the Nets public relations department and the Anti-Defamation League Wednesday night. The team and Irving also each pledged to donate $500,000 each to causes and organizations “that work to eradicate hate and intolerance in our communities.”
“I oppose all forms of hatred and oppression and stand strong with communities that are marginalized and impacted every day,” Irving said in the release. “I am aware of the negative impact of my post towards the Jewish community and I take responsibility. I do not believe everything said in the documentary was true or reflects my morals and principles.
“I am a human being learning from all walks of life and I intend to do so with an open mind and a willingness to listen. So from my family and I, we meant no harm to any one group, race or religion of people, and wish to only be a beacon of truth and light.”
The release also said that the Nets and the WNBA’s Liberty will host a “series of community conversations” on the topic of “hatred based on race, ethnicity, and religion” at Barclays Center, in partnership with the Anti-Defamation League.
The Nets and the NBA have been facing mounting pressure from fans and the media to discipline their guard for linking to a movie “Hebrews to Negroes,” which among other vile assertions suggests a connection between Judaism and devil worship.
The Nets play in Brooklyn, a borough where one in four residents is Jewish. On Monday night, eight fans wearing “fight antisemitism” shirts sat courtside in protest of Irving’s action. A number of well-known former players — including Charles Barkley — called for the league to suspend Irving. Former coach Amar’e Stoudemire, who is Jewish, called for him to apologize.
The Nets’ announcement Wednesday did not include any suspension or punishment given that Irving’s $500,000 pledge was cast as a donation and not a fine. The news release also marked the first time that the Nets had referred to Irving by name.
On Friday, they issued a news release condemning hate speech in general but did not mention the guard by name.
Irving’s sole news conference since the remarks became publicly known was cringeworthy. When given a chance to explain his thoughts, Irving doubled down on his decision to link to an Amazon page for the movie. He argued with a reporter who pressed him about his intentions and the press conference had to be cut short.
“I’m not going to stand down on anything that I believe,” he said. “I’m only going to get stronger because I’m not alone. I have a whole army around me.”
Irving said in the news conference that he was not promoting the movie but did say it is a learning tool.
“I’m all over the place when it comes to really elevating my consciousness, because I didn’t get it in school,” he said. “All I did was get seven hours a day being indoctrinated and brainwashed on a history that doesn’t belong to me or my ancestors . . . I watched it and read books. I had a lot of time last year to read a lot. To read a whole bunch, good and bad about the truth of our world.”
It was far from the first time Irving has been involved in controversy. Irving also retweeted conspiracist radio host Alex Jones, who is most well-known for saying that the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax. Though Irving apologized to the families of Sandy Hook, he did say that Jones was right about the New World Order — a conspiracy that is generally connected with antisemitism.
The Nets, who are in a tailspin after losing six of their first eight games, have not made Irving available since that press conference. The ensuing drama may have accelerated the departure of Nets coach Steve Nash. The team announced on Tuesday that they and Nash had decided to part ways.
Thursday’s announcement also possibly could have been timed to deflect attention away from the fact that the Nets are reportedly on the verge of hiring Ime Udoka as their next coach. Udoka is currently on a one-year suspension from the Celtics for violating a team policy.